Planning your Activities
Start with a core set of activities for a solid data foundation.
How many activities do I need to get started?
You don't need a lot of activities to get started. We recommend choosing 3 - 6 activities to start. With a small set of activities you can start answering the big questions about your business (LTV, Retention, Customer Acquisition Cost, etc).
Which activities do I need?
Every company will use a different set of activities, but every company can follow the same framework to identify which activities are right for them.
We recommend choosing 1-2 activities that fall into each group (below) to get started.
Adding your first activity?
If you're new to Narrator, check out this tutorial to create a new activity.
Types of Activities
Marketing and Conversion Activities
Key events that relate to your sales/marketing funnel
What are people doing when they FIRST interact with our company?
It's usually a web visit or app download
When do people first become "known" or identified to us? When do they first give us their contact information?
It's usually when they become a lead or sign up
- Viewed Page (example SQL)
- Started Session (example SQL)
- Signed Up (example SQL)
- Opened Email (example SQL)
- Started App Session (example SQL)
- Submitted Lead (example SQL)
- Started Subscription (example SQL)
Key events that generate revenue for your company
- What are customers doing when they generate revenue for our company?
- Completed Order (example SQL)
- Purchased Product (example SQL)
- Paid Invoice (example SQL)
Product Usage Activities
The primary action that a customer takes with your company's product
- How do your customers use your product?
These activities will vary greatly on a company by company basis
- Opened App (example SQL)
- Booked Rideshare
- Completed Workout
- Submitted Search (example SQL)
When your customers are no longer customers
- What action does a customer take when they churn?
- Cancelled Subscription (example SQL)
- Unsubscribed (example SQL)
Looking for more examples?
We've compiled a list of examples by company type.
Get Advice from the Narrator Data Team 🤓
Not sure which activities to build first? Set up a 30 minute meeting with the Narrator data team to talk through your business and get a recommendation of which activities to build first.
🗓 Set up a Planning meeting with our data team
Updated almost 2 years ago
Learn how to add an activity in Narrator